Warm Green Bean Salad with Toasted Walnuts
From EatingWell: Spring 2004
This colorful salad makes a fine prelude to a hearty dinner. Walnut oil's distinctive flavor delivers a rich hit to the dressing.
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 12 ounces haricots verts, (see Ingredient Note) or green beans, stem ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 6 cups mâche, (see Ingredient Note) or Boston lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- To prepare dressing: Whisk shallot, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil.
- Cook haricots verts (or green beans), uncovered, in a large pot of boiling water until crisp-tender; 3 to 4 minutes for haricots verts, 4 to 6 minutes for green beans. Drain, refresh under cold water and pat dry.
- Toast walnuts in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.
- To prepare salad: Combine the beans, tomatoes and parsley in a large bowl. Toss with the dressing. Divide m&acirc;che (or lettuce) among 6 salad plates. Spoon bean mixture onto the greens, sprinkle with the walnuts and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days. Blanch beans (Step 2) up to 8 hours ahead; store in the refrigerator in a plastic bag lined with paper towels.
- Ingredient Notes: Haricots verts is simply French for "green beans." However, the term is often used for the very slender beans, also called French beans, found in produce markets.
- Mâche ("mosh"), also known as lamb's lettuce or corn salad, is a tangy green that resembles watercress. Popular in Europe, it is enjoyed in the first salads of spring. Look for it in specialty stores and farmers' markets.
Per serving: 135 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 142 mg sodium; 827 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (110% daily value), Vitamin C (80% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Spring 2004