Warm Dandelion Greens
From EatingWell: May/June 1991
Here, peppery-tasting dandelion greens are simply sautéed with olive oil and garlic and then tossed with balsamic vinegar plus some crisped Canadian bacon. Dandelion greens are a favorite springtime wild edible, but if you don't get them early enough, they begin to toughen. If large, store-bought dandelion greens are used, blanch them for 1 to 2 minutes in boiling water before sautéing.
- 2 ounces lean back bacon or Canadian bacon, (three 3-by-1/4-inch slices), diced
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 12 cups young dandelion greens, rinsed well and briefly shaken dry
- 2 tablespoons balsamic or rice-wine vinegar
- 6 dandelion flowers and 12 small, whole leaves for garnish, (optional)
- Fry bacon in a large cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat until edges curl, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- Pour off excess fat from the pan and add oil. Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until light brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add still-damp greens, stir to coat them with the oil, cover pan and steam until just limp, about 3 minutes.
- Add vinegar and the cooked bacon, toss lightly and serve garnished with flowers and small leaves (if using).
Per serving: 119 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 303 mg sodium; 496 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (109% daily value), Vitamin C (61% dv), Calcium (21% dv), Iron (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1991