Warm Dandelion Greens
From EatingWell: May/June 1991
Here, peppery-tasting dandelion greens are simply sautéed with olive oil and garlic and then tossed with balsamic vinegar plus some crisped Canadian bacon. Dandelion greens are a favorite springtime wild edible, but if you don't get them early enough, they begin to toughen. If large, store-bought dandelion greens are used, blanch them for 1 to 2 minutes in boiling water before sautéing.
- 2 ounces lean back bacon or Canadian bacon, (three 3-by-1/4-inch slices), diced
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 12 cups young dandelion greens, rinsed well and briefly shaken dry
- 2 tablespoons balsamic or rice-wine vinegar
- 6 dandelion flowers and 12 small, whole leaves for garnish, (optional)
- Fry bacon in a large cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat until edges curl, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- Pour off excess fat from the pan and add oil. Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until light brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add still-damp greens, stir to coat them with the oil, cover pan and steam until just limp, about 3 minutes.
- Add vinegar and the cooked bacon, toss lightly and serve garnished with flowers and small leaves (if using).
Per serving: 119 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 303 mg sodium; 496 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (109% daily value), Vitamin C (61% dv), Calcium (21% dv), Iron (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1991