Warm Dandelion Greens
From EatingWell: May/June 1991
Here, peppery-tasting dandelion greens are simply sautéed with olive oil and garlic and then tossed with balsamic vinegar plus some crisped Canadian bacon. Dandelion greens are a favorite springtime wild edible, but if you don't get them early enough, they begin to toughen. If large, store-bought dandelion greens are used, blanch them for 1 to 2 minutes in boiling water before sautéing.
- 2 ounces lean back bacon or Canadian bacon, (three 3-by-1/4-inch slices), diced
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 12 cups young dandelion greens, rinsed well and briefly shaken dry
- 2 tablespoons balsamic or rice-wine vinegar
- 6 dandelion flowers and 12 small, whole leaves for garnish, (optional)
- Fry bacon in a large cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat until edges curl, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- Pour off excess fat from the pan and add oil. Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until light brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add still-damp greens, stir to coat them with the oil, cover pan and steam until just limp, about 3 minutes.
- Add vinegar and the cooked bacon, toss lightly and serve garnished with flowers and small leaves (if using).
Per serving: 119 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 303 mg sodium; 496 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (109% daily value), Vitamin C (61% dv), Calcium (21% dv), Iron (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1991