Warm Dandelion Greens
From EatingWell: May/June 1991
Here, peppery-tasting dandelion greens are simply sautéed with olive oil and garlic and then tossed with balsamic vinegar plus some crisped Canadian bacon. Dandelion greens are a favorite springtime wild edible, but if you don't get them early enough, they begin to toughen. If large, store-bought dandelion greens are used, blanch them for 1 to 2 minutes in boiling water before sautéing.
- 2 ounces lean back bacon or Canadian bacon, (three 3-by-1/4-inch slices), diced
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 12 cups young dandelion greens, rinsed well and briefly shaken dry
- 2 tablespoons balsamic or rice-wine vinegar
- 6 dandelion flowers and 12 small, whole leaves for garnish, (optional)
- Fry bacon in a large cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat until edges curl, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- Pour off excess fat from the pan and add oil. Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until light brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add still-damp greens, stir to coat them with the oil, cover pan and steam until just limp, about 3 minutes.
- Add vinegar and the cooked bacon, toss lightly and serve garnished with flowers and small leaves (if using).
Per serving: 119 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 303 mg sodium; 496 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (109% daily value), Vitamin C (61% dv), Calcium (21% dv), Iron (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1991