Warm Chocolate Pudding
From EatingWell: EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)
This warm pudding has a marvelous deep chocolaty flavor, but it's low in fat and super-quick to make. Don't skimp on the quality of cocoa with this one—treat yourself to the good stuff.
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/4 cups nonfat or low-fat milk, divided
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lightly beat egg with a fork in a medium bowl.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups milk, 1/3 cup sugar and salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1/3 cup sugar, cocoa and cornstarch in a medium bowl. Whisk in the remaining 3/4 cup milk until blended. Whisk the simmering milk mixture into the cocoa mixture. Pour the mixture back into the pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and glossy, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk about 1 cup of the hot cocoa mixture into the beaten egg. Return the egg mixture to the pan and cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until steaming and thickened, about 2 minutes. (Do not boil.) Whisk in vanilla. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Pour the pudding into a bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface. Refrigerate for up to 3 days; serve cold.
Per serving: 164 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 110 mg sodium; 311 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, chocolate
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Valentine's Day
- EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)