Warm Chocolate Pudding
From EatingWell: EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)
This warm pudding has a marvelous deep chocolaty flavor, but it's low in fat and super-quick to make. Don't skimp on the quality of cocoa with this one—treat yourself to the good stuff.
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/4 cups nonfat or low-fat milk, divided
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lightly beat egg with a fork in a medium bowl.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups milk, 1/3 cup sugar and salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1/3 cup sugar, cocoa and cornstarch in a medium bowl. Whisk in the remaining 3/4 cup milk until blended. Whisk the simmering milk mixture into the cocoa mixture. Pour the mixture back into the pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and glossy, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk about 1 cup of the hot cocoa mixture into the beaten egg. Return the egg mixture to the pan and cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until steaming and thickened, about 2 minutes. (Do not boil.) Whisk in vanilla. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Pour the pudding into a bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface. Refrigerate for up to 3 days; serve cold.
Per serving: 164 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 110 mg sodium; 311 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, chocolate
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)