Warm Chicken Salad with Pine Nuts
From EatingWell: September/October 1991
Poaching chicken breasts in a mixture of balsamic vinegar and chicken broth makes them unusually tender. The poaching liquid then becomes the base for a slightly sweet, intensely flavored dressing. Any leftover poaching liquid can be stored in the freezer to use later in sauce or dressing.
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 2 sprigs rosemary plus 1 teaspoon chopped, or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed (1 pound total)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Salt to taste
- 6 cups torn mixed salad greens, such as curly endive, escarole, spinach, Belgian endive, arugula, radicchio and/or watercress, washed and thoroughly dried
- 2 medium red bell peppers, roasted (see Tip) and cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, preferably flat-leaved
- Combine broth, vinegar, garlic, fresh rosemary sprigs (or 1 teaspoon dried) and bay leaf in a wide saucepan or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add chicken breasts, cover and poach gently just until the flesh is no longer pink inside, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and keep warm.
- Boil the poaching liquid until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Strain, discard garlic, rosemary and bay leaf and pour 1/2 cup poaching liquid into a small bowl. Whisk in oil, shallots and pepper. Season with salt if desired.
- Toss greens in a large bowl with 1/4 cup of the dressing. Arrange on individual plates. Carve chicken into thin slices and arrange over greens. Garnish with red pepper and drizzle the remaining dressing over chicken and peppers. Sprinkle pine nuts, parsley and remaining 1 teaspoon fresh (or 1/2 teaspoon dried) rosemary over the chicken
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To oven-roast peppers:
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a wire rack on a large baking sheet. Arrange whole bell peppers on the rack.
- 2. Roast peppers in the center of the oven, turning occasionally with tongs, until blackened in places, 30 to 40 minutes.
- 3. Transfer the peppers to a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let steam for 10 minutes. Uncover and let cool.
- 4. With a paring knife, remove stems, skins and seeds. If serving as antipasto, combine accumulated juices with peppers.
Per serving: 238 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 3 g fiber; 169 mg sodium; 612 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (153% daily value), Vitamin A (86% dv), Folate (33% dv), Selenium (29% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 1991
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)