Warm Chicken Salad with Bows
From EatingWell: May/June 1992
This combination of simple ingredients results in a sophisticated warm pasta salad.
- 12 ounces whole-wheat bow-tie pasta
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 small red bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 9-ounce package frozen artichokes, thawed
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but firm, about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until cooled. Set aside.
- Toast pine nuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring almost constantly, until golden and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a wok over high heat. Add chicken pieces and sauté until no longer pink inside, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the wok. Add peppers, shallots and garlic, and sauté until the peppers are tender-crisp, about 2 minutes. Add to the reserved chicken.
- Add broth, vinegar and rosemary to the pan and bring to a boil. Add artichokes and the reserved pasta and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Return the reserved chicken mixture to the pan and toss with the pasta. Taste and adjust seasoning and sprinkle with pine nuts. Serve warm.
Per serving: 355 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 8 g fiber; 93 mg sodium; 536 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value), Folate (20% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv), Potassium & Selenium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1992