Warm Chicken Salad with Bows
From EatingWell: May/June 1992
This combination of simple ingredients results in a sophisticated warm pasta salad.
- 12 ounces whole-wheat bow-tie pasta
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 small red bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 9-ounce package frozen artichokes, thawed
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but firm, about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until cooled. Set aside.
- Toast pine nuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring almost constantly, until golden and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a wok over high heat. Add chicken pieces and sauté until no longer pink inside, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the wok. Add peppers, shallots and garlic, and sauté until the peppers are tender-crisp, about 2 minutes. Add to the reserved chicken.
- Add broth, vinegar and rosemary to the pan and bring to a boil. Add artichokes and the reserved pasta and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Return the reserved chicken mixture to the pan and toss with the pasta. Taste and adjust seasoning and sprinkle with pine nuts. Serve warm.
Per serving: 355 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 8 g fiber; 93 mg sodium; 536 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value), Folate (20% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv), Potassium & Selenium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992