Warm Chicken Salad with Bows
From EatingWell: May/June 1992
This combination of simple ingredients results in a sophisticated warm pasta salad.
- 12 ounces whole-wheat bow-tie pasta
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 small red bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 9-ounce package frozen artichokes, thawed
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but firm, about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until cooled. Set aside.
- Toast pine nuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring almost constantly, until golden and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a wok over high heat. Add chicken pieces and sauté until no longer pink inside, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the wok. Add peppers, shallots and garlic, and sauté until the peppers are tender-crisp, about 2 minutes. Add to the reserved chicken.
- Add broth, vinegar and rosemary to the pan and bring to a boil. Add artichokes and the reserved pasta and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Return the reserved chicken mixture to the pan and toss with the pasta. Taste and adjust seasoning and sprinkle with pine nuts. Serve warm.
Per serving: 355 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 8 g fiber; 93 mg sodium; 536 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value), Folate (20% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv), Potassium & Selenium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992