Warm Cabbage Slaw with Pork Medallions
From EatingWell: September/October 1991
Shredded green and red cabbage tossed with hot, fruity dressing make a colorful low-fat coleslaw. The pork medallions transform it into a main dish.
- 2 tablespoons pecans
- 2 1/2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 1/2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 8 ounces pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1-inch-thick medallions
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread pecans in a pie plate and toast, stirring twice, until fragrant for about 10 minutes. (To toast pecans in a microwave oven, spread them in a microwave-proof pie plate and microwave at 100 percent power for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring twice.) Let cool and chop coarsely.
- Place cabbages in a large salad bowl. Combine vinegar, apple juice and honey in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Season pork medallions with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook just until browned on the outside and no longer pink inside, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Add garlic to the pan and sauté, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add vinegar mixture and bring it to a boil, stirring to remove any caramelized bits on the bottom of the pan. Stir in mustard. Pour the sauce over the cabbage and toss. Place the pork medallions on top of the cabbage and sprinkle with pecans.
Per serving: 163 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 2 g fiber; 59 mg sodium; 395 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (69% daily value), Selenium (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1991