Warm Cabbage Slaw with Pork Medallions
From EatingWell: September/October 1991
Shredded green and red cabbage tossed with hot, fruity dressing make a colorful low-fat coleslaw. The pork medallions transform it into a main dish.
- 2 tablespoons pecans
- 2 1/2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 1/2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 8 ounces pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1-inch-thick medallions
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread pecans in a pie plate and toast, stirring twice, until fragrant for about 10 minutes. (To toast pecans in a microwave oven, spread them in a microwave-proof pie plate and microwave at 100 percent power for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring twice.) Let cool and chop coarsely.
- Place cabbages in a large salad bowl. Combine vinegar, apple juice and honey in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Season pork medallions with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook just until browned on the outside and no longer pink inside, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Add garlic to the pan and sauté, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add vinegar mixture and bring it to a boil, stirring to remove any caramelized bits on the bottom of the pan. Stir in mustard. Pour the sauce over the cabbage and toss. Place the pork medallions on top of the cabbage and sprinkle with pecans.
Per serving: 163 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 2 g fiber; 59 mg sodium; 395 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (69% daily value), Selenium (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1991