Warm Cabbage Slaw with Pork Medallions
From EatingWell: September/October 1991
Shredded green and red cabbage tossed with hot, fruity dressing make a colorful low-fat coleslaw. The pork medallions transform it into a main dish.
- 2 tablespoons pecans
- 2 1/2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 1/2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 8 ounces pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1-inch-thick medallions
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread pecans in a pie plate and toast, stirring twice, until fragrant for about 10 minutes. (To toast pecans in a microwave oven, spread them in a microwave-proof pie plate and microwave at 100 percent power for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring twice.) Let cool and chop coarsely.
- Place cabbages in a large salad bowl. Combine vinegar, apple juice and honey in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Season pork medallions with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook just until browned on the outside and no longer pink inside, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Add garlic to the pan and sauté, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add vinegar mixture and bring it to a boil, stirring to remove any caramelized bits on the bottom of the pan. Stir in mustard. Pour the sauce over the cabbage and toss. Place the pork medallions on top of the cabbage and sprinkle with pecans.
Per serving: 163 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 2 g fiber; 59 mg sodium; 395 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (69% daily value), Selenium (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1991