Warm Bean & Arugula Salad
In this salad, saucy, lemony beans stand in for a warm dressing, coating the arugula and wilting it just a bit to mellow its naturally assertive character. Add a piece of warm crusty bread and a glass of crisp white wine to make this an excellent light supper.
- 1 ounce prosciutto, thinly sliced, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, rinsed
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 cups arugula
- Cook prosciutto in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until crispy, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Add oil to the pan and place over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, being careful not to brown the garlic, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in beans and broth; cook until heated through, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Add lemon juice, parsley and pepper; stir to combine. Place arugula in a large bowl. Add the bean mixture and toss to coat. Top with the prosciutto.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store the bean mixture in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 195 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 7 g fiber; 453 mg sodium; 520 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (33% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique