Warm Bean & Arugula Salad
In this salad, saucy, lemony beans stand in for a warm dressing, coating the arugula and wilting it just a bit to mellow its naturally assertive character. Add a piece of warm crusty bread and a glass of crisp white wine to make this an excellent light supper.
- 1 ounce prosciutto, thinly sliced, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, rinsed
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 cups arugula
- Cook prosciutto in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until crispy, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Add oil to the pan and place over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, being careful not to brown the garlic, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in beans and broth; cook until heated through, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Add lemon juice, parsley and pepper; stir to combine. Place arugula in a large bowl. Add the bean mixture and toss to coat. Top with the prosciutto.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store the bean mixture in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 195 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 7 g fiber; 453 mg sodium; 520 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (33% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique