Warm Bean & Arugula Salad
In this salad, saucy, lemony beans stand in for a warm dressing, coating the arugula and wilting it just a bit to mellow its naturally assertive character. Add a piece of warm crusty bread and a glass of crisp white wine to make this an excellent light supper.
- 1 ounce prosciutto, thinly sliced, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, rinsed
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 cups arugula
- Cook prosciutto in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until crispy, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Add oil to the pan and place over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, being careful not to brown the garlic, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in beans and broth; cook until heated through, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Add lemon juice, parsley and pepper; stir to combine. Place arugula in a large bowl. Add the bean mixture and toss to coat. Top with the prosciutto.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store the bean mixture in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 195 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 7 g fiber; 453 mg sodium; 520 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (33% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique