Warm Arugula Bread Salad
From EatingWell: June/July 2005
This assertive panzanella has the most flavor when made with mature arugula, but baby arugula also works well. Serve with grilled steak or turkey sausage.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 slices crusty whole-wheat bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (2 cups)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 cups arugula, (7 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 ounce Parmesan cheese, shaved (1/4 cup) or grated (1/2 cup)
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in bread; cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp and starting to brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Add tomatoes and arugula; cook, stirring, until arugula just wilts, about 1 minute. Push the mixture to one side. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the empty side and cook garlic, stirring constantly, until fragrant and sizzling, 15 seconds. Stir into the bread mixture. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper, drizzle with vinegar and toss to combine. Serve warm, topped with Parmesan.
Per serving: 195 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 285 mg sodium; 287 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (30% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- June/July 2005