Warm Arugula Bread Salad
From EatingWell: June/July 2005
This assertive panzanella has the most flavor when made with mature arugula, but baby arugula also works well. Serve with grilled steak or turkey sausage.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 slices crusty whole-wheat bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (2 cups)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 cups arugula, (7 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 ounce Parmesan cheese, shaved (1/4 cup) or grated (1/2 cup)
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in bread; cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp and starting to brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Add tomatoes and arugula; cook, stirring, until arugula just wilts, about 1 minute. Push the mixture to one side. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the empty side and cook garlic, stirring constantly, until fragrant and sizzling, 15 seconds. Stir into the bread mixture. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper, drizzle with vinegar and toss to combine. Serve warm, topped with Parmesan.
Per serving: 195 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 285 mg sodium; 287 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (30% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- June/July 2005