Warm Apple Pancake Topping
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
In this healthy, warm fruit pancake topping recipe, apples are simmered with brown sugar, apple cider and a touch of vanilla extract to make this healthy alternative to maple syrup. This recipe is also fantastic when made with pears.
- 1 cup apple cider plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Bring 1 cup cider and brown sugar to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add apples, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the apples are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons cider and cornstarch in a small bowl. Stir into the apples and cook, stirring, until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Per serving: 71 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 5 g added sugars; 15 g total sugars; 0 g protein; 2 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 107 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- January/February 2014