Warm Apple Pancake Topping
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
In this healthy, warm fruit pancake topping recipe, apples are simmered with brown sugar, apple cider and a touch of vanilla extract to make this healthy alternative to maple syrup. This recipe is also fantastic when made with pears.
- 1 cup apple cider plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Bring 1 cup cider and brown sugar to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add apples, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the apples are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons cider and cornstarch in a small bowl. Stir into the apples and cook, stirring, until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Per serving: 71 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 5 g added sugars; 15 g total sugars; 0 g protein; 2 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 107 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- January/February 2014