Warm Apple Pancake Topping
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
In this healthy, warm fruit pancake topping recipe, apples are simmered with brown sugar, apple cider and a touch of vanilla extract to make this healthy alternative to maple syrup. This recipe is also fantastic when made with pears.
- 1 cup apple cider plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Bring 1 cup cider and brown sugar to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add apples, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the apples are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons cider and cornstarch in a small bowl. Stir into the apples and cook, stirring, until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Per serving: 71 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 5 g added sugars; 15 g total sugars; 0 g protein; 2 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 107 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014