Warm Apple Pancake Topping
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
In this healthy, warm fruit pancake topping recipe, apples are simmered with brown sugar, apple cider and a touch of vanilla extract to make this healthy alternative to maple syrup. This recipe is also fantastic when made with pears.
- 1 cup apple cider plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Bring 1 cup cider and brown sugar to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add apples, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the apples are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons cider and cornstarch in a small bowl. Stir into the apples and cook, stirring, until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Per serving: 71 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 5 g added sugars; 15 g total sugars; 0 g protein; 2 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 107 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014