Walnut-Stuffed Nectarines Poached in Laurier Syrup
This recipe is based on a traditional Turkish dessert, in which dried figs are stuffed with ground walnuts and poached in a fragrant syrup made with black tea. The idea translates beautifully to fresh summer fruits, such as nectarines.
- Laurier-Scented Syrup
- 1 black-tea tea bag
- 4 fresh or dried bay leaves
- 2 2 1/2-inch strips lemon zest
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Filling & Fruit
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 ripe nectarines, washed and dried
- Fresh bay leaves for garnish, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make syrup: Place tea bag, bay leaves and lemon zest in a small bowl. Pour in boiling water. Cover and let steep for 5 minutes. Discard tea bag. Stir honey and lemon juice into tea.
- To prepare filling and nectarines: Meanwhile, place walnuts, sugar and cinnamon in a food processor; process until walnuts are finely ground.
- Cut nectarines in half with a small, sharp knife. Use a melon baller or grapefruit spoon to remove pits. Place the nectarines, cut side up, in a 7-by-11-inch (or similar) baking dish. Spoon a heaping teaspoonful of the walnut mixture into the cavity of each nectarine half. Gently spoon the tea syrup (including bay leaves and lemon zest) over and around the nectarines.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Baste the nectarines with syrup. Return to the oven and bake, uncovered, until the nectarines are tender when pierced with the tip a sharp knife, 15 to 20 minutes more. Let cool slightly. Divide the nectarine halves among 4 dessert dishes. Spoon some of thesyrup over each serving and garnish with bay leaves, if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 162 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 328 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour