Walnut-Stuffed Nectarines Poached in Laurier Syrup
This recipe is based on a traditional Turkish dessert, in which dried figs are stuffed with ground walnuts and poached in a fragrant syrup made with black tea. The idea translates beautifully to fresh summer fruits, such as nectarines.
- Laurier-Scented Syrup
- 1 black-tea tea bag
- 4 fresh or dried bay leaves
- 2 2 1/2-inch strips lemon zest
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Filling & Fruit
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 ripe nectarines, washed and dried
- Fresh bay leaves for garnish, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make syrup: Place tea bag, bay leaves and lemon zest in a small bowl. Pour in boiling water. Cover and let steep for 5 minutes. Discard tea bag. Stir honey and lemon juice into tea.
- To prepare filling and nectarines: Meanwhile, place walnuts, sugar and cinnamon in a food processor; process until walnuts are finely ground.
- Cut nectarines in half with a small, sharp knife. Use a melon baller or grapefruit spoon to remove pits. Place the nectarines, cut side up, in a 7-by-11-inch (or similar) baking dish. Spoon a heaping teaspoonful of the walnut mixture into the cavity of each nectarine half. Gently spoon the tea syrup (including bay leaves and lemon zest) over and around the nectarines.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Baste the nectarines with syrup. Return to the oven and bake, uncovered, until the nectarines are tender when pierced with the tip a sharp knife, 15 to 20 minutes more. Let cool slightly. Divide the nectarine halves among 4 dessert dishes. Spoon some of thesyrup over each serving and garnish with bay leaves, if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 162 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 328 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour