Walnut-Stuffed Nectarines Poached in Laurier Syrup
This recipe is based on a traditional Turkish dessert, in which dried figs are stuffed with ground walnuts and poached in a fragrant syrup made with black tea. The idea translates beautifully to fresh summer fruits, such as nectarines.
- Laurier-Scented Syrup
- 1 black-tea tea bag
- 4 fresh or dried bay leaves
- 2 2 1/2-inch strips lemon zest
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Filling & Fruit
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 ripe nectarines, washed and dried
- Fresh bay leaves for garnish, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make syrup: Place tea bag, bay leaves and lemon zest in a small bowl. Pour in boiling water. Cover and let steep for 5 minutes. Discard tea bag. Stir honey and lemon juice into tea.
- To prepare filling and nectarines: Meanwhile, place walnuts, sugar and cinnamon in a food processor; process until walnuts are finely ground.
- Cut nectarines in half with a small, sharp knife. Use a melon baller or grapefruit spoon to remove pits. Place the nectarines, cut side up, in a 7-by-11-inch (or similar) baking dish. Spoon a heaping teaspoonful of the walnut mixture into the cavity of each nectarine half. Gently spoon the tea syrup (including bay leaves and lemon zest) over and around the nectarines.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Baste the nectarines with syrup. Return to the oven and bake, uncovered, until the nectarines are tender when pierced with the tip a sharp knife, 15 to 20 minutes more. Let cool slightly. Divide the nectarine halves among 4 dessert dishes. Spoon some of thesyrup over each serving and garnish with bay leaves, if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 162 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 328 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation