Walnut-Stuffed Nectarines Poached in Laurier Syrup
This recipe is based on a traditional Turkish dessert, in which dried figs are stuffed with ground walnuts and poached in a fragrant syrup made with black tea. The idea translates beautifully to fresh summer fruits, such as nectarines.
- Laurier-Scented Syrup
- 1 black-tea tea bag
- 4 fresh or dried bay leaves
- 2 2 1/2-inch strips lemon zest
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Filling & Fruit
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 ripe nectarines, washed and dried
- Fresh bay leaves for garnish, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make syrup: Place tea bag, bay leaves and lemon zest in a small bowl. Pour in boiling water. Cover and let steep for 5 minutes. Discard tea bag. Stir honey and lemon juice into tea.
- To prepare filling and nectarines: Meanwhile, place walnuts, sugar and cinnamon in a food processor; process until walnuts are finely ground.
- Cut nectarines in half with a small, sharp knife. Use a melon baller or grapefruit spoon to remove pits. Place the nectarines, cut side up, in a 7-by-11-inch (or similar) baking dish. Spoon a heaping teaspoonful of the walnut mixture into the cavity of each nectarine half. Gently spoon the tea syrup (including bay leaves and lemon zest) over and around the nectarines.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Baste the nectarines with syrup. Return to the oven and bake, uncovered, until the nectarines are tender when pierced with the tip a sharp knife, 15 to 20 minutes more. Let cool slightly. Divide the nectarine halves among 4 dessert dishes. Spoon some of thesyrup over each serving and garnish with bay leaves, if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 162 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 328 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation