Walnut Pastry Dough
From EatingWell: September 1997
This delicious, versatile crust can also be made with hazelnuts, almonds or pecans.
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- 6-7 tablespoons cold water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread walnuts in a pie pan and bake for 5 to 7 minutes, or until fragrant. Let cool.
- Combine the walnuts, flour, sugar and salt in a food processor; process until the walnuts are finely chopped. Add butter and process until incorporated. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Drizzle oil over the flour mixture. Use your fingertips to rub the oil into the mixture. One tablespoon at a time, add water and mix with a fork until dough is crumbly and holds together when pressed.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces, 1 slightly larger than the other, and form each into a disk.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The dough will keep, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Return dough to room temperature before rolling.
- Wide sheets of parchment paper make rolling out dough even easier. They are available in rolls or stacks at kitchenware shops or by mail order from The Baker's Catalogue, (800) 827-6836, www.bakerscatalogue.com.
Per serving: 236 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 292 mg sodium; 64 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- September 1997
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)