Walnut Pastry Dough
From EatingWell: September 1997
This delicious, versatile crust can also be made with hazelnuts, almonds or pecans.
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- 6-7 tablespoons cold water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread walnuts in a pie pan and bake for 5 to 7 minutes, or until fragrant. Let cool.
- Combine the walnuts, flour, sugar and salt in a food processor; process until the walnuts are finely chopped. Add butter and process until incorporated. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Drizzle oil over the flour mixture. Use your fingertips to rub the oil into the mixture. One tablespoon at a time, add water and mix with a fork until dough is crumbly and holds together when pressed.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces, 1 slightly larger than the other, and form each into a disk.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The dough will keep, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Return dough to room temperature before rolling.
- Wide sheets of parchment paper make rolling out dough even easier. They are available in rolls or stacks at kitchenware shops or by mail order from The Baker's Catalogue, (800) 827-6836, www.bakerscatalogue.com.
Per serving: 236 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 292 mg sodium; 64 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- September 1997