Walnut Pastry Dough
From EatingWell: September 1997
This delicious, versatile crust can also be made with hazelnuts, almonds or pecans.
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- 6-7 tablespoons cold water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread walnuts in a pie pan and bake for 5 to 7 minutes, or until fragrant. Let cool.
- Combine the walnuts, flour, sugar and salt in a food processor; process until the walnuts are finely chopped. Add butter and process until incorporated. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Drizzle oil over the flour mixture. Use your fingertips to rub the oil into the mixture. One tablespoon at a time, add water and mix with a fork until dough is crumbly and holds together when pressed.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces, 1 slightly larger than the other, and form each into a disk.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The dough will keep, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Return dough to room temperature before rolling.
- Wide sheets of parchment paper make rolling out dough even easier. They are available in rolls or stacks at kitchenware shops or by mail order from The Baker's Catalogue, (800) 827-6836, www.bakerscatalogue.com.
Per serving: 236 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 292 mg sodium; 64 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- September 1997