Walnut Pastry Dough
From EatingWell: September 1997
This delicious, versatile crust can also be made with hazelnuts, almonds or pecans.
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- 6-7 tablespoons cold water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread walnuts in a pie pan and bake for 5 to 7 minutes, or until fragrant. Let cool.
- Combine the walnuts, flour, sugar and salt in a food processor; process until the walnuts are finely chopped. Add butter and process until incorporated. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Drizzle oil over the flour mixture. Use your fingertips to rub the oil into the mixture. One tablespoon at a time, add water and mix with a fork until dough is crumbly and holds together when pressed.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces, 1 slightly larger than the other, and form each into a disk.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The dough will keep, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Return dough to room temperature before rolling.
- Wide sheets of parchment paper make rolling out dough even easier. They are available in rolls or stacks at kitchenware shops or by mail order from The Baker's Catalogue, (800) 827-6836, www.bakerscatalogue.com.
Per serving: 236 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 292 mg sodium; 64 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- September 1997