Walnut Oil Vinaigrette
Common in Indian and Middle Eastern cooking, pomegranate molasses is a sweet-yet-tart sauce made from reduced pomegranate juice. Combined with walnut oil, it makes a zesty dressing, perfect for sweet greens like Bibb lettuce and sugar snap peas. Toasted walnuts are a natural topping.
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses, (see Ingredient note) or frozen cranberry juice concentrate
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup walnut oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
- Whisk vinegar, pomegranate molasses (or cranberry juice concentrate), salt and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in oil.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Pomegranate molasses lends a bright, tangy flavor to many Middle Eastern and Persian dishes. (Do not confuse it with grenadine syrup, which is very sweet and contains little or no pomegranate juice.) Bottled molasses is sold in Middle Eastern markets and some large supermarkets.
Per tablespoon: 82 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 37 mg sodium; 0 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad dressing
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)