Walnut, Dill & Tuna Salad
From EatingWell: March 1998
Looking for a new way to dress up your tuna salad routine? Try antioxidant-rich walnuts and fresh dill. Make it a meal: Serve over baby arugula and tomato slices with a slice of whole-grain bread.
- 1 slice whole-grain bread
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- Pinch of, cayenne pepper
- 1 6-ounce can chunk light tuna, drained and flaked (see Note)
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Puree bread, broth, walnuts, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic and cayenne in a food processor. Transfer to a bowl and add tuna, carrot, celery and dill. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 233 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 26 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 5 g fiber; 592 mg sodium; 494 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (106% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv), Magnesium (17% dv), Zinc (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March 1998