Walnut, Dill & Tuna Salad
From EatingWell: March 1998
Looking for a new way to dress up your tuna salad routine? Try antioxidant-rich walnuts and fresh dill. Make it a meal: Serve over baby arugula and tomato slices with a slice of whole-grain bread.
- 1 slice whole-grain bread
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- Pinch of, cayenne pepper
- 1 6-ounce can chunk light tuna, drained and flaked (see Note)
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Puree bread, broth, walnuts, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic and cayenne in a food processor. Transfer to a bowl and add tuna, carrot, celery and dill. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 233 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 26 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 5 g fiber; 592 mg sodium; 494 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (106% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv), Magnesium (17% dv), Zinc (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- March 1998