Walnut, Dill & Tuna Salad
From EatingWell: March 1998
Looking for a new way to dress up your tuna salad routine? Try antioxidant-rich walnuts and fresh dill. Make it a meal: Serve over baby arugula and tomato slices with a slice of whole-grain bread.
- 1 slice whole-grain bread
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- Pinch of, cayenne pepper
- 1 6-ounce can chunk light tuna, drained and flaked (see Note)
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Puree bread, broth, walnuts, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic and cayenne in a food processor. Transfer to a bowl and add tuna, carrot, celery and dill. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 233 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 26 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 5 g fiber; 592 mg sodium; 494 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (106% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv), Magnesium (17% dv), Zinc (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March 1998