Walnut, Dill & Tuna Salad
From EatingWell: March 1998
Looking for a new way to dress up your tuna salad routine? Try antioxidant-rich walnuts and fresh dill. Make it a meal: Serve over baby arugula and tomato slices with a slice of whole-grain bread.
- 1 slice whole-grain bread
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- Pinch of, cayenne pepper
- 1 6-ounce can chunk light tuna, drained and flaked (see Note)
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Puree bread, broth, walnuts, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic and cayenne in a food processor. Transfer to a bowl and add tuna, carrot, celery and dill. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 233 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 26 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 5 g fiber; 592 mg sodium; 494 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (106% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv), Magnesium (17% dv), Zinc (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March 1998