Walnut Cake with a Hint of Rosemary
Rosemary contributes an ever-so-subtle fragrance to this luxurious cake. Whole-wheat flour blends in seamlessly because its nutty flavor complements the walnuts.
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Ingredient notes)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mild olive oil, or canola oil
- 4 teaspoons very finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature (see Tip)
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature, or 4 teaspoons dried egg whites (see Ingredient Note), reconstituted according to package directions
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup Vanilla Cream, (recipe follows)
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- 2 cups mixed fresh berries, (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
- Rosemary sprigs for garnish
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 350°F. Coat a 10-inch (12-cup) Bundt pan, preferably nonstick, with cooking spray.
- Spread walnuts in a small baking pan and toast in the oven until fragrant, 4 to 6 minutes. Let cool.
- Place walnuts, whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a food processor; process until walnuts are finely ground.
- Combine buttermilk, oil, rosemary, vanilla and lemon zest in a glass measuring cup.
- Place eggs, egg whites and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes. The mixture should be thickened and pale.
- With a rubber spatula, alternately fold the dry ingredients and buttermilk mixture into the egg mixture, making 3 additions of the dry and 2 additions of liquid. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake the cake until the top springs back when touched lightly and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges and turn the cake out onto the rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make Vanilla Cream.
- To serve, set the cake on a platter and dust with confectioners' sugar. Garnish with berries and rosemary sprigs. Serve each piece with a dollop of Vanilla Cream and some berries.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 12-cup bundt pan
- Ingredient notes:
- Whole-wheat pastry flour is milled from soft wheat. It contains less gluten than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure a tender result in delicate baked goods while providing the nutritional benefits of whole grains. Store in the freezer. Available in large supermarkets and in natural-foods stores.
- Dried egg whites are pasteurized so this product is a wise choice in dishes that call for an uncooked meringue. They are also convenient in recipes calling for egg whites because there is no waste. Look for brands like Just Whites in the baking or natural-foods section of most supermarkets.
- To bring cold eggs to room temperature quickly, place in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes; they will beat to a greater volume.
- To separate eggs safely: Use an egg separator, an inexpensive gadget found in cookware stores; separating eggs the traditional way, by passing the yolk back and forth between pieces of egg shell or your hands, can expose eggs to bacteria.
Per serving: 230 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 154 mg sodium; 81 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, cakes
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)