Walnut Cake with a Hint of Rosemary
Rosemary contributes an ever-so-subtle fragrance to this luxurious cake. Whole-wheat flour blends in seamlessly because its nutty flavor complements the walnuts.
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Ingredient notes)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mild olive oil, or canola oil
- 4 teaspoons very finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature (see Tip)
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature, or 4 teaspoons dried egg whites (see Ingredient Note), reconstituted according to package directions
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup Vanilla Cream, (recipe follows)
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- 2 cups mixed fresh berries, (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
- Rosemary sprigs for garnish
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 350°F. Coat a 10-inch (12-cup) Bundt pan, preferably nonstick, with cooking spray.
- Spread walnuts in a small baking pan and toast in the oven until fragrant, 4 to 6 minutes. Let cool.
- Place walnuts, whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a food processor; process until walnuts are finely ground.
- Combine buttermilk, oil, rosemary, vanilla and lemon zest in a glass measuring cup.
- Place eggs, egg whites and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes. The mixture should be thickened and pale.
- With a rubber spatula, alternately fold the dry ingredients and buttermilk mixture into the egg mixture, making 3 additions of the dry and 2 additions of liquid. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake the cake until the top springs back when touched lightly and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges and turn the cake out onto the rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make Vanilla Cream.
- To serve, set the cake on a platter and dust with confectioners' sugar. Garnish with berries and rosemary sprigs. Serve each piece with a dollop of Vanilla Cream and some berries.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 12-cup bundt pan
- Ingredient notes:
- Whole-wheat pastry flour is milled from soft wheat. It contains less gluten than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure a tender result in delicate baked goods while providing the nutritional benefits of whole grains. Store in the freezer. Available in large supermarkets and in natural-foods stores.
- Dried egg whites are pasteurized so this product is a wise choice in dishes that call for an uncooked meringue. They are also convenient in recipes calling for egg whites because there is no waste. Look for brands like Just Whites in the baking or natural-foods section of most supermarkets.
- To bring cold eggs to room temperature quickly, place in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes; they will beat to a greater volume.
- To separate eggs safely: Use an egg separator, an inexpensive gadget found in cookware stores; separating eggs the traditional way, by passing the yolk back and forth between pieces of egg shell or your hands, can expose eggs to bacteria.
Per serving: 230 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 154 mg sodium; 81 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, cakes
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique