Virgin Garden-Fresh Bloody Mary
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
Make this zesty garden-fresh drink when summer tomatoes and peppers are at their peak.
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 jalapeños, stemmed and seeded
- 2-3 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 caperberries, (see Shopping Tip) or large green olives for garnish
- 4 pickled dilly beans, for garnish
- Puree tomatoes in a blender with lemon juice, jalapeños, horseradish to taste, Worcestershire, sugar, celery salt and pepper, scraping down the sides as necessary. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours. Divide among 4 ice-filled glasses. Spear caperberries (or olives) and dilly beans on toothpicks to garnish the drinks.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Capers are dried and pickled small flower buds from a shrub native to the Mediterranean. Caperberries are the more mature fruit produced by the shrub. They are about the size of an olive, starchier than the smaller caper and usually sold with the stem still attached. They typically used as a drink garnish, but can also be served as an appetizer—like olives. Look for them in well-stocked supermarkets near olives and pickles or find them online at tienda.com.
Per serving: 38 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 154 mg sodium; 375 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, nonalcoholic
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- July/August 2009