Virgin Garden-Fresh Bloody Mary
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
Make this zesty garden-fresh drink when summer tomatoes and peppers are at their peak.
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 jalapeños, stemmed and seeded
- 2-3 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 caperberries, (see Shopping Tip) or large green olives for garnish
- 4 pickled dilly beans, for garnish
- Puree tomatoes in a blender with lemon juice, jalapeños, horseradish to taste, Worcestershire, sugar, celery salt and pepper, scraping down the sides as necessary. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours. Divide among 4 ice-filled glasses. Spear caperberries (or olives) and dilly beans on toothpicks to garnish the drinks.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Capers are dried and pickled small flower buds from a shrub native to the Mediterranean. Caperberries are the more mature fruit produced by the shrub. They are about the size of an olive, starchier than the smaller caper and usually sold with the stem still attached. They typically used as a drink garnish, but can also be served as an appetizer—like olives. Look for them in well-stocked supermarkets near olives and pickles or find them online at tienda.com.
Per serving: 38 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 154 mg sodium; 375 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, nonalcoholic
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- July/August 2009