Virgin Garden-Fresh Bloody Mary
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
Make this zesty garden-fresh drink when summer tomatoes and peppers are at their peak.
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 jalapeños, stemmed and seeded
- 2-3 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 caperberries, (see Shopping Tip) or large green olives for garnish
- 4 pickled dilly beans, for garnish
- Puree tomatoes in a blender with lemon juice, jalapeños, horseradish to taste, Worcestershire, sugar, celery salt and pepper, scraping down the sides as necessary. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours. Divide among 4 ice-filled glasses. Spear caperberries (or olives) and dilly beans on toothpicks to garnish the drinks.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Capers are dried and pickled small flower buds from a shrub native to the Mediterranean. Caperberries are the more mature fruit produced by the shrub. They are about the size of an olive, starchier than the smaller caper and usually sold with the stem still attached. They typically used as a drink garnish, but can also be served as an appetizer—like olives. Look for them in well-stocked supermarkets near olives and pickles or find them online at tienda.com.
Per serving: 38 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 154 mg sodium; 375 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, nonalcoholic
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2009