Virgin Garden-Fresh Bloody Mary
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
Make this zesty garden-fresh drink when summer tomatoes and peppers are at their peak.
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 jalapeños, stemmed and seeded
- 2-3 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 caperberries, (see Shopping Tip) or large green olives for garnish
- 4 pickled dilly beans, for garnish
- Puree tomatoes in a blender with lemon juice, jalapeños, horseradish to taste, Worcestershire, sugar, celery salt and pepper, scraping down the sides as necessary. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours. Divide among 4 ice-filled glasses. Spear caperberries (or olives) and dilly beans on toothpicks to garnish the drinks.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Capers are dried and pickled small flower buds from a shrub native to the Mediterranean. Caperberries are the more mature fruit produced by the shrub. They are about the size of an olive, starchier than the smaller caper and usually sold with the stem still attached. They typically used as a drink garnish, but can also be served as an appetizer—like olives. Look for them in well-stocked supermarkets near olives and pickles or find them online at tienda.com.
Per serving: 38 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 154 mg sodium; 375 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, nonalcoholic
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2009