Vietnamese-Style Beef & Noodle Broth
Inspired by pho--traditional Vietnamese soup--this one-pot meal is garnished with crunchy mung bean sprouts and chopped fresh basil. You could also serve it with lime wedges and a bottle of Asian chile sauce, such as sriracha, on the side.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 pound beef flank steak, very thinly sliced against the grain (see Tip)
- 4 cups chopped bok choy, (1 small head, about 1 pound)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 ounces wide rice noodles
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, or to taste
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over high heat. Add beef and cook, stirring often, until just cooked, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate using tongs, leaving the juices in the pot.
- Add bok choy to the pot and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add broth and water, cover and bring to a boil. Add noodles and soy sauce; simmer until the noodles are soft, about 4 minutes. Return the beef to the pot and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes more. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with bean sprouts and basil. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: If you have a little extra time before dinner, put the flank steak in the freezer for about 20 minutes to help make it easier to slice thinly.
Per serving: 235 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 33 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 1 g fiber; 209 mg sodium; 451 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (40% daily value), Zinc (27% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique