Vietnamese-Style Beef & Noodle Broth
Inspired by pho--traditional Vietnamese soup--this one-pot meal is garnished with crunchy mung bean sprouts and chopped fresh basil. You could also serve it with lime wedges and a bottle of Asian chile sauce, such as sriracha, on the side.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 pound beef flank steak, very thinly sliced against the grain (see Tip)
- 4 cups chopped bok choy, (1 small head, about 1 pound)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 ounces wide rice noodles
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, or to taste
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over high heat. Add beef and cook, stirring often, until just cooked, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate using tongs, leaving the juices in the pot.
- Add bok choy to the pot and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add broth and water, cover and bring to a boil. Add noodles and soy sauce; simmer until the noodles are soft, about 4 minutes. Return the beef to the pot and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes more. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with bean sprouts and basil. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: If you have a little extra time before dinner, put the flank steak in the freezer for about 20 minutes to help make it easier to slice thinly.
Per serving: 235 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 33 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 1 g fiber; 209 mg sodium; 451 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (40% daily value), Zinc (27% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation