Vietnamese-Style Beef & Noodle Broth
Inspired by pho--traditional Vietnamese soup--this one-pot meal is garnished with crunchy mung bean sprouts and chopped fresh basil. You could also serve it with lime wedges and a bottle of Asian chile sauce, such as sriracha, on the side.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 pound beef flank steak, very thinly sliced against the grain (see Tip)
- 4 cups chopped bok choy, (1 small head, about 1 pound)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 ounces wide rice noodles
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, or to taste
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over high heat. Add beef and cook, stirring often, until just cooked, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate using tongs, leaving the juices in the pot.
- Add bok choy to the pot and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add broth and water, cover and bring to a boil. Add noodles and soy sauce; simmer until the noodles are soft, about 4 minutes. Return the beef to the pot and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes more. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with bean sprouts and basil. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: If you have a little extra time before dinner, put the flank steak in the freezer for about 20 minutes to help make it easier to slice thinly.
Per serving: 235 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 33 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 1 g fiber; 209 mg sodium; 451 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (40% daily value), Zinc (27% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique