Vietnamese Steak Sandwich
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
Crisp vegetables and a sweet-salty sauce top thinly sliced grilled steak. Marinating the steak after it's grilled ensures a flavorful result.
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce, (see Note)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound flank steak, thinly sliced against the grain
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 12-inch baguettes, cut in half and split horizontally
- 2 small carrots, shredded or cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 small cucumber, cut into thin spears
- 1/2 cup shredded peeled daikon radish
- 3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat grill to high.
- Whisk fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and pepper in a shallow dish until the sugar dissolves. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the sauce in a small bowl for Step 4.
- Place steak in a medium bowl, add oil and toss to coat. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the steak slices, turning once, until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to the dish with the marinade, stir to coat and refrigerate for 15 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- To assemble sandwiches: Add mayonnaise to the reserved sauce and stir to combine. Spread the mixture on baguettes, top with the marinated steak, carrots, cucumber, daikon, scallions and cilantro. Slice the sandwiches in half.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian sauce made from salted, fermented fish. Find it in large supermarkets and Asian markets.
- Tip: How to oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 366 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 8 g fiber; 733 mg sodium; 314 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Selenium (26% dv), Zinc (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- August/September 2006