Vietnamese Steak Sandwich
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
Crisp vegetables and a sweet-salty sauce top thinly sliced grilled steak. Marinating the steak after it's grilled ensures a flavorful result.
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce, (see Note)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound flank steak, thinly sliced against the grain
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 12-inch baguettes, cut in half and split horizontally
- 2 small carrots, shredded or cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 small cucumber, cut into thin spears
- 1/2 cup shredded peeled daikon radish
- 3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat grill to high.
- Whisk fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and pepper in a shallow dish until the sugar dissolves. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the sauce in a small bowl for Step 4.
- Place steak in a medium bowl, add oil and toss to coat. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the steak slices, turning once, until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to the dish with the marinade, stir to coat and refrigerate for 15 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- To assemble sandwiches: Add mayonnaise to the reserved sauce and stir to combine. Spread the mixture on baguettes, top with the marinated steak, carrots, cucumber, daikon, scallions and cilantro. Slice the sandwiches in half.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian sauce made from salted, fermented fish. Find it in large supermarkets and Asian markets.
- Tip: How to oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 366 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 8 g fiber; 733 mg sodium; 314 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Selenium (26% dv), Zinc (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- August/September 2006