Vietnamese Steak Sandwich
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
Crisp vegetables and a sweet-salty sauce top thinly sliced grilled steak. Marinating the steak after it's grilled ensures a flavorful result.
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce, (see Note)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound flank steak, thinly sliced against the grain
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 12-inch baguettes, cut in half and split horizontally
- 2 small carrots, shredded or cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 small cucumber, cut into thin spears
- 1/2 cup shredded peeled daikon radish
- 3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat grill to high.
- Whisk fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and pepper in a shallow dish until the sugar dissolves. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the sauce in a small bowl for Step 4.
- Place steak in a medium bowl, add oil and toss to coat. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the steak slices, turning once, until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to the dish with the marinade, stir to coat and refrigerate for 15 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- To assemble sandwiches: Add mayonnaise to the reserved sauce and stir to combine. Spread the mixture on baguettes, top with the marinated steak, carrots, cucumber, daikon, scallions and cilantro. Slice the sandwiches in half.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian sauce made from salted, fermented fish. Find it in large supermarkets and Asian markets.
- Tip: How to oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 366 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 8 g fiber; 733 mg sodium; 314 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Selenium (26% dv), Zinc (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- August/September 2006