Vietnamese Steak Sandwich
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
Crisp vegetables and a sweet-salty sauce top thinly sliced grilled steak. Marinating the steak after it's grilled ensures a flavorful result.
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce, (see Note)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound flank steak, thinly sliced against the grain
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 12-inch baguettes, cut in half and split horizontally
- 2 small carrots, shredded or cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 small cucumber, cut into thin spears
- 1/2 cup shredded peeled daikon radish
- 3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat grill to high.
- Whisk fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and pepper in a shallow dish until the sugar dissolves. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the sauce in a small bowl for Step 4.
- Place steak in a medium bowl, add oil and toss to coat. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the steak slices, turning once, until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to the dish with the marinade, stir to coat and refrigerate for 15 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- To assemble sandwiches: Add mayonnaise to the reserved sauce and stir to combine. Spread the mixture on baguettes, top with the marinated steak, carrots, cucumber, daikon, scallions and cilantro. Slice the sandwiches in half.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian sauce made from salted, fermented fish. Find it in large supermarkets and Asian markets.
- Tip: How to oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 366 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 8 g fiber; 733 mg sodium; 314 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Selenium (26% dv), Zinc (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- August/September 2006