From EatingWell: May/June 1996
Leftover cooked chicken breast or pork tenderloin combine with crunchy carrots and onion in this take on banh mi, a traditional Vietnamese sandwich.
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced white onion
- 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chiles, preferably red bird chiles
- 1 16- to 20-inch-long baguette
- 4 teaspoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 12 ounces cooked boneless skinless chicken breast, or pork tenderloin, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Mash garlic and salt into a paste with the flat side of a chef’s knife. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add vinegar and sugar, stirring to dissolve. Add carrots, onions and chiles; toss to coat.
- Slice baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece horizontally. Spread the cut sides with mayonnaise. Arrange the meat on the 4 bottom halves. Sprinkle with lime juice and five-spice powder. Top with the carrot salad and cilantro leaves. Cover with the bread tops.
Per serving: 353 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 36 g protein; 7 g fiber; 734 mg sodium; 389 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (142% daily value), Selenium (34% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1996