From EatingWell: May/June 1996
Leftover cooked chicken breast or pork tenderloin combine with crunchy carrots and onion in this take on banh mi, a traditional Vietnamese sandwich.
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced white onion
- 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chiles, preferably red bird chiles
- 1 16- to 20-inch-long baguette
- 4 teaspoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 12 ounces cooked boneless skinless chicken breast, or pork tenderloin, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Mash garlic and salt into a paste with the flat side of a chef’s knife. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add vinegar and sugar, stirring to dissolve. Add carrots, onions and chiles; toss to coat.
- Slice baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece horizontally. Spread the cut sides with mayonnaise. Arrange the meat on the 4 bottom halves. Sprinkle with lime juice and five-spice powder. Top with the carrot salad and cilantro leaves. Cover with the bread tops.
Per serving: 353 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 36 g protein; 7 g fiber; 734 mg sodium; 389 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (142% daily value), Selenium (34% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1996