From EatingWell: May/June 1996
Leftover cooked chicken breast or pork tenderloin combine with crunchy carrots and onion in this take on banh mi, a traditional Vietnamese sandwich.
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced white onion
- 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chiles, preferably red bird chiles
- 1 16- to 20-inch-long baguette
- 4 teaspoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 12 ounces cooked boneless skinless chicken breast, or pork tenderloin, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Mash garlic and salt into a paste with the flat side of a chef’s knife. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add vinegar and sugar, stirring to dissolve. Add carrots, onions and chiles; toss to coat.
- Slice baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece horizontally. Spread the cut sides with mayonnaise. Arrange the meat on the 4 bottom halves. Sprinkle with lime juice and five-spice powder. Top with the carrot salad and cilantro leaves. Cover with the bread tops.
Per serving: 353 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 36 g protein; 7 g fiber; 734 mg sodium; 389 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (142% daily value), Selenium (34% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1996