From EatingWell: May/June 1996
Leftover cooked chicken breast or pork tenderloin combine with crunchy carrots and onion in this take on banh mi, a traditional Vietnamese sandwich.
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced white onion
- 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chiles, preferably red bird chiles
- 1 16- to 20-inch-long baguette
- 4 teaspoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 12 ounces cooked boneless skinless chicken breast, or pork tenderloin, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Mash garlic and salt into a paste with the flat side of a chef’s knife. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add vinegar and sugar, stirring to dissolve. Add carrots, onions and chiles; toss to coat.
- Slice baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece horizontally. Spread the cut sides with mayonnaise. Arrange the meat on the 4 bottom halves. Sprinkle with lime juice and five-spice powder. Top with the carrot salad and cilantro leaves. Cover with the bread tops.
Per serving: 353 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 36 g protein; 7 g fiber; 734 mg sodium; 389 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (142% daily value), Selenium (34% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1996