From EatingWell: May/June 1996
Leftover cooked chicken breast or pork tenderloin combine with crunchy carrots and onion in this take on banh mi, a traditional Vietnamese sandwich.
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced white onion
- 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chiles, preferably red bird chiles
- 1 16- to 20-inch-long baguette
- 4 teaspoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 12 ounces cooked boneless skinless chicken breast, or pork tenderloin, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Mash garlic and salt into a paste with the flat side of a chef’s knife. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add vinegar and sugar, stirring to dissolve. Add carrots, onions and chiles; toss to coat.
- Slice baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece horizontally. Spread the cut sides with mayonnaise. Arrange the meat on the 4 bottom halves. Sprinkle with lime juice and five-spice powder. Top with the carrot salad and cilantro leaves. Cover with the bread tops.
Per serving: 353 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 36 g protein; 7 g fiber; 734 mg sodium; 389 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (142% daily value), Selenium (34% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1996