Vietnamese Grilled Chicken
Meaty chicken thighs are well suited to this intensely flavored Vietnamese marinade.
- 1/4 cup lime juice, (2 limes)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 serrano or jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 bone-in chicken legs, (about 2 1/2 pounds total), skin and fat removed, cut in half through the joint
- 1 1/2 cups Papaya Relish, (recipe follows)
- Whisk lime juice, fish sauce, garlic, peppers, sugar and oil in a small bowl. Pour about half of this marinade into a shallow glass dish and reserve the remainder for basting. Add chicken pieces to the dish and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, make Papaya Relish. Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Oil the grill rack. Grill the chicken, covered, turning several times and basting the browned sides with the reserved marinade, until well browned but not charred, and no longer pink inside, 20 to 30 minutes. Serve with Papaya Relish.
Per serving: 253 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 104 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 1 g fiber; 544 mg sodium; 343 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (26% daily value), Zinc (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Father's Day
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique