Vietnamese Grilled Chicken
Meaty chicken thighs are well suited to this intensely flavored Vietnamese marinade.
- 1/4 cup lime juice, (2 limes)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 serrano or jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 bone-in chicken legs, (about 2 1/2 pounds total), skin and fat removed, cut in half through the joint
- 1 1/2 cups Papaya Relish, (recipe follows)
- Whisk lime juice, fish sauce, garlic, peppers, sugar and oil in a small bowl. Pour about half of this marinade into a shallow glass dish and reserve the remainder for basting. Add chicken pieces to the dish and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, make Papaya Relish. Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Oil the grill rack. Grill the chicken, covered, turning several times and basting the browned sides with the reserved marinade, until well browned but not charred, and no longer pink inside, 20 to 30 minutes. Serve with Papaya Relish.
Per serving: 253 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 104 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 1 g fiber; 544 mg sodium; 343 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (26% daily value), Zinc (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Father's Day
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry