Vietnamese Grilled Chicken
Meaty chicken thighs are well suited to this intensely flavored Vietnamese marinade.
- 1/4 cup lime juice, (2 limes)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 serrano or jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 bone-in chicken legs, (about 2 1/2 pounds total), skin and fat removed, cut in half through the joint
- 1 1/2 cups Papaya Relish, (recipe follows)
- Whisk lime juice, fish sauce, garlic, peppers, sugar and oil in a small bowl. Pour about half of this marinade into a shallow glass dish and reserve the remainder for basting. Add chicken pieces to the dish and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, make Papaya Relish. Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Oil the grill rack. Grill the chicken, covered, turning several times and basting the browned sides with the reserved marinade, until well browned but not charred, and no longer pink inside, 20 to 30 minutes. Serve with Papaya Relish.
Per serving: 253 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 104 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 1 g fiber; 544 mg sodium; 343 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (26% daily value), Zinc (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Father's Day