Vietnamese Grilled Chicken
Meaty chicken thighs are well suited to this intensely flavored Vietnamese marinade.
- 1/4 cup lime juice, (2 limes)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 serrano or jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 bone-in chicken legs, (about 2 1/2 pounds total), skin and fat removed, cut in half through the joint
- 1 1/2 cups Papaya Relish, (recipe follows)
- Whisk lime juice, fish sauce, garlic, peppers, sugar and oil in a small bowl. Pour about half of this marinade into a shallow glass dish and reserve the remainder for basting. Add chicken pieces to the dish and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, make Papaya Relish. Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Oil the grill rack. Grill the chicken, covered, turning several times and basting the browned sides with the reserved marinade, until well browned but not charred, and no longer pink inside, 20 to 30 minutes. Serve with Papaya Relish.
Per serving: 253 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 104 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 1 g fiber; 544 mg sodium; 343 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (26% daily value), Zinc (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Father's Day
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique