Vietnamese Dipping Sauce
From EatingWell: The Simple Art of EatingWell
This tangy Vietnamese dipping sauce—perfect for spring rolls—is flavored with lime juice, fish sauce, garlic and serrano pepper.
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 serrano pepper, minced, or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 scallion, minced (optional)
- Stir together lime juice, water, fish sauce, sugar, garlic, serrano (or crushed red pepper) and scallion (if using) in a small bowl until the sugar is dissolved.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian condiment made from salted, fermented fish. Find it in the Asian-food section of well-stocked supermarkets and at Asian specialty markets. We use Thai Kitchen fish sauce, lower in sodium than other brands (1,190 mg per tablespoon), in our recipe testing and nutritional analyses.
Per tablespoon: 13 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 298 mg sodium; 11 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: Free food
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- The Simple Art of EatingWell