Vietnamese Chicken & Noodle Salad
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Fish sauce is the soy sauce of Southeast Asia—more pungent at first blush but very aromatic and malleable when combined with other flavors, like the chicken, vegetables and peanuts in this light, refreshing salad.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 4 ounces wide rice noodles
- 1/2 cup rice-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce, (see Ingredient Note)
- 2 teaspoons sugar, or to taste
- 3 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 1 English cucumber, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup slivered fresh basil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped unsalted roasted peanuts
- Place chicken in a skillet or saucepan and add enough water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and gently simmer until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, shred into bite-size strips.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Stir in rice noodles and cook until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Whisk vinegar, fish sauce and sugar to taste in a large bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Add the chicken, noodles, cabbage, cucumber, carrot, basil and peanuts; toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare salad up to 8 hours in advance. Toss with peanuts just before serving.
- Ingredient Note: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian sauce made from salted, fermented fish. It can be found in the Asian section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets
Per serving: 402 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 5 g fiber; 667 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (100% daily value), Vitamin K (60% dv), Vitamin C (40% dv), Selenium (37% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Make ahead instructions
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique