Vietnamese Chicken & Noodle Salad
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Fish sauce is the soy sauce of Southeast Asia—more pungent at first blush but very aromatic and malleable when combined with other flavors, like the chicken, vegetables and peanuts in this light, refreshing salad.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 4 ounces wide rice noodles
- 1/2 cup rice-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce, (see Ingredient Note)
- 2 teaspoons sugar, or to taste
- 3 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 1 English cucumber, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup slivered fresh basil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped unsalted roasted peanuts
- Place chicken in a skillet or saucepan and add enough water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and gently simmer until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, shred into bite-size strips.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Stir in rice noodles and cook until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Whisk vinegar, fish sauce and sugar to taste in a large bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Add the chicken, noodles, cabbage, cucumber, carrot, basil and peanuts; toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare salad up to 8 hours in advance. Toss with peanuts just before serving.
- Ingredient Note: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian sauce made from salted, fermented fish. It can be found in the Asian section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets
Per serving: 402 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 5 g fiber; 667 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (100% daily value), Vitamin K (60% dv), Vitamin C (40% dv), Selenium (37% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Make ahead instructions
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique