Vietnamese Chicken & Noodle Salad
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Fish sauce is the soy sauce of Southeast Asia—more pungent at first blush but very aromatic and malleable when combined with other flavors, like the chicken, vegetables and peanuts in this light, refreshing salad.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 4 ounces wide rice noodles
- 1/2 cup rice-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce, (see Ingredient Note)
- 2 teaspoons sugar, or to taste
- 3 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 1 English cucumber, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup slivered fresh basil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped unsalted roasted peanuts
- Place chicken in a skillet or saucepan and add enough water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and gently simmer until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, shred into bite-size strips.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Stir in rice noodles and cook until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Whisk vinegar, fish sauce and sugar to taste in a large bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Add the chicken, noodles, cabbage, cucumber, carrot, basil and peanuts; toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare salad up to 8 hours in advance. Toss with peanuts just before serving.
- Ingredient Note: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian sauce made from salted, fermented fish. It can be found in the Asian section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets
Per serving: 402 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 5 g fiber; 667 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (100% daily value), Vitamin K (60% dv), Vitamin C (40% dv), Selenium (37% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Make ahead instructions