Vietnamese-Flavored Broccoli Rabe
From EatingWell: March/April 2010
A simple dressing of fish sauce, lime juice and hot pepper gives broccoli rabe a Vietnamese twist. Try it with grilled pork and rice.
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe (about 1 pound), trimmed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (see Note)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Cook broccoli rabe in a large pot of boiling water until bright green and barely tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain in a colander and gently press out as much water as possible.
- Combine fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, garlic and crushed red pepper to taste in a small bowl; stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli rabe and cook, stirring, until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the fish sauce mixture and cook, stirring, 1 minute more.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian condiment made from salted, fermented fish. Find it in the Asian-food section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets. We use Thai Kitchen fish sauce, lower in sodium than other brands (1,190 mg per tablespoon), in our nutritional analyses.
Per serving: 67 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 335 mg sodium; 229 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (60% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Folate (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2010