Vietnamese-Flavored Broccoli Rabe
From EatingWell: March/April 2010
A simple dressing of fish sauce, lime juice and hot pepper gives broccoli rabe a Vietnamese twist. Try it with grilled pork and rice.
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe (about 1 pound), trimmed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (see Note)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Cook broccoli rabe in a large pot of boiling water until bright green and barely tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain in a colander and gently press out as much water as possible.
- Combine fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, garlic and crushed red pepper to taste in a small bowl; stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli rabe and cook, stirring, until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the fish sauce mixture and cook, stirring, 1 minute more.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian condiment made from salted, fermented fish. Find it in the Asian-food section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets. We use Thai Kitchen fish sauce, lower in sodium than other brands (1,190 mg per tablespoon), in our nutritional analyses.
Per serving: 67 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 335 mg sodium; 229 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (60% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Folate (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2010