Vietnamese-Flavored Broccoli Rabe
From EatingWell: March/April 2010
A simple dressing of fish sauce, lime juice and hot pepper gives broccoli rabe a Vietnamese twist. Try it with grilled pork and rice.
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe (about 1 pound), trimmed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (see Note)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Cook broccoli rabe in a large pot of boiling water until bright green and barely tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain in a colander and gently press out as much water as possible.
- Combine fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, garlic and crushed red pepper to taste in a small bowl; stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli rabe and cook, stirring, until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the fish sauce mixture and cook, stirring, 1 minute more.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian condiment made from salted, fermented fish. Find it in the Asian-food section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets. We use Thai Kitchen fish sauce, lower in sodium than other brands (1,190 mg per tablespoon), in our nutritional analyses.
Per serving: 67 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 335 mg sodium; 229 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (60% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Folate (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2010